Five people contributed $16,000 at the 11th hour to aid embattled Brooklyn State Senator John Sampson in his now-successful Democratic Primary win. Although innocent until proved guilty, I’m left wondering who contributes to the re-election effort of a lawmaker indicted by the federal government for embezzlement, lying to federal investigators and violating legal ethics. And whose former top political aide, Melvin Lowe, was recently convicted on federal embezzlement and kickback charges involving Democratic Senate Campaign Committee funds (during Sampson’s stint as Senate Majority Leader).
- Subin Associates LLP is a personal injury law firm
- Fisher and Fisher is a law firm led by Andrew Fisher whose brother Ken is a lobbyist and former Council Member and sister Alice is a judge;
- Quality Health Care Management Corporation is described as in the clinical laboratory field;
- Shayna Simpson-Hall is a human resources specialist and resident of North Carolina; and
- Madeline Felice is a principal owner of the Sai Baba Food Corporation in Jackson Heights, Queens, NY.
|COMMITTEE TO RE-ELECT JOHN SAMPSON||08-SEP-14||FISHER AND FISHER
P.O. BOX 61060
STATEN ISLAND, NY 10306
|COMMITTEE TO RE-ELECT JOHN SAMPSON||04-SEP-14||SUBIN ASSOCIATES LLP
NEW YORK, NY 10038
|COMMITTEE TO RE-ELECT JOHN SAMPSON||03-SEP-14||QUALITY HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT CORP. INC.
2818 OCEAN AVENUE
BROOKLYN, NY 11235
|COMMITTEE TO RE-ELECT JOHN SAMPSON||03-SEP-14||SHAYNA SIMPSON-HALL
3005 GRANDVIEW HEIGHTS LN.
RALEIGH, NC 27614
|COMMITTEE TO RE-ELECT JOHN SAMPSON||03-SEP-14||MADELINE FELICE
2690 NATIONAL DRIVE
BROOKLYN, NY 11234
According to his disclosure reports (as of August 4), after starting with an $11,000 deficit, Sampson raised over $83,500 and spent $65,800. In late August, Sampson loaned his campaign $15,000. Sampson also received $10, 500 donation from George Fortunato, an alleged former mobster, who Sampson calls a family friend.
The senator’s federal trial is set to begin next year, and if found guilty, Sampson would be forced to resign.
Michael Benjamin is a columnist and blogger as well as a former state legislator who represented the 79 AD, 2003-2010.
Follow him at http://CorruptionCrusher.com/;Twitter:@SquarePegDem;andwww.Facebook.com/SquarePegDem;www.YouTube.com/SquarePegDem; on Skype:SquarePegDem